”Where am I? What happened to me? How did I get here?” I cried aloud. I had just woken up to find myself in the hospital. I was really surprised and confused. That was when I heard Sandra beside me telling me to calm down.
Sandra is my best friend. We have been friends for about 10years. She knows alot about me and she has always been there for me.

ALSO READ PREVIOUS STORY ”I didn’t wish him well”

Still on the hospital bed, I kept wondering what had happened to me until I saw a wedding gown hung beside my bed. ”Oh my wedding!” I exclaimed and then I began to think back, in other to remember how it all happened.  I remembered that,…….

8 years ago, I met a wonderful guy who proposed to me five years after we met. According to him, I was just the perfect woman he had always wished for as a wife. 2years after, we started preparations and then fixed a date for our wedding. Everything was so glamorous. In fact, there was no hitch at all. That morning I woke up with excitement knowing that I was getting married to the love of my life. I got dressed and was ready to head to the church where the wedding would be done. On my arrival I was shocked to hear that the groom hadn’t showed up and that his line wasn’t going through at all. Despite the shock I confidently told them not to worry and that something may had delayed him and that he’ll certainly show up. Then after waiting for about 4 hours I got a call to come to the hospital to identify a young man who had instructed them to call me. They added that he told them  I was his bride to be. You can’t imagine how fast my heart raced. Still in panic,  I hurried to the hospital dressed in  my wedding gown and with  my chief brides maid Sandra. On getting there I found  my fiance in a very terrible state.

On seeing me, he managed to mutter something and then he slept off. His best man was by his side when we got to the hospital. He told us that, they were attacked and held hostage on their way to the church by some gun men and after about 2-3 hours they shot my fiance on the right side of the chest and left. He went further to say that the gun men didn’t take anything from them and that he sensed that they were not robbers but  hired assassins from the way they spoke.

On hearing that I was gripped with fear because I was sure that nether I nor more fiance had any enemy that would want us dead more so on our wedding day.

I couldn’t return home. I was very terrified and also very concerned about my fiance’s well-being. After a brief test was run on the best man to confirm his wellness, he left to police station to report the incident while, I decided to stay back to wait till Paul wakes up and to ensure our safety before I go home to change. Then after about 2- 4 hours later the doctor came smiling to me. He said….
He said I could come over to see Paul. So I went straight to Paul’s ward. I was so glad to see those dazzling eyes gazing at me again. I was short of words and also very thankful to God for sparing his life for me.

Though he seemed to be in pains I could sense that he was trying to hide it from me perhaps to make me feel relaxed and stop panicking. I asked him if he had any enemies that wished him dead. I asked him if he knew the assassins and if they had by any means mentioned who sent them. But he answered No.. to the questions. I spent about 30 minutes with him and Sandra was with me all through and then after a while I decided to go home to change. I had not even left the premises when a nurse came running to us. It was about 7pm in the evening at that time. She kept shouting on us to come back even as she ran towards us.

From the station, I went to Kelechi’s house immediately where I was told that they last saw him about a week ago when he left for a wedding and since then he hadn’t returned home. I became more confused. So I called Sandra to ask if she had seen Kelechi but she said No.  I became more terrified so I went back to the police. There I was advised not to disclose my findings to anyone nor tell anyone that the matter is been investigated by the police. I was told to give them my phones why I used another phone number temporarily.So we stopped and waited for her to get to us. When she did all she said was ”please come back!”. I thought I had dropped any of my belongings behind or maybe Paul wanted to speak to me but on getting to the reception, I met the doctor standing by the door. He looked at me, shook his head and said, ”he is gone!”. ”Just like that? I can’t believe it!”  .. were the last exclamations I could remember that I had made and then I saw my self  lying on the hospital bed with my wedding gown hung beside me. Thank God for Sandra. She was still beside me all along. She was the person who told me that I had slumped after hearing the news of Paul’s death.

Yes. Paul died and I proposed in my heart to find that person who wanted him dead and for what reason. I was set to make that person pay severely for what he did.

So after Paul was buried 7days after his death I went to the police station where his best man had said he reported the  incident and to my surprise, I was told that, no incident of such was reported by the name I specified, on that day and at the said time. I was very astonished because I went there to ask if there was any news with regards to the case just for me to find out that Kelechi was never at the station that day. So I narrated what happened to the police officers and they were very keen to get to the bottom of it all.

A month passed and then 2 yet there was no news. I had began to lose faith in the police when one Tuesday morning, I got a call from one of the officers to hurry to the station as soon as I could. On getting there I was surprised to see Kelechi and 4 other guys in chains. Then the officer who had  called me to come over walked towards me . We exchanged greetings and then he began to explain.

He said those boys were high way robbers who were apprehended that morning while carrying out their operation on the expressway. He said a good citizen who got an information from a friend who nearly got robbed by them but was able to narrowly escape, called the police as soon as he was told. ”So we armed and disguised ourselves as ordinary travelers. On getting to where they had positioned themselves, they came to us to attack us. That was when we opened fire. They were not expecting us so they taken unawares. 2 died instantly, 4 were injured while those 3 willingly surrendered. When those 3 were interrogated we found out that one of them fitted into the description  you gave and looked just like the photograph of the missing best man you had dropped with us”.  …he said.

After the police officer had finished talking, I thanked him and then matched to Kelechi immediately.
I gave him a dirty slap and demanded for the truth. I was filled with both anger and tears. After about 5 minutes of shouting on him I broke down in tears. I knelt down begging him to tell me the truth. Yet, he didn’t say a word. His head was bowed and he didn’t seem to be moved at all. The officers told me not to worry and that they’ll get the truth out of him by themselves but I shouldn’t disclose anything to anyone.

2weeks after, I was called upon again to  come to the station. This time it wasn’t an urgent call. I was told that Kelechi was ready to confess so I hurried up there since there was no need to delay afterall the confession meant a lot to me.

On reaching there I saw Kelechi. He eyes were swollen and it seemed like he had been severely tortured. The interrogation room was set, voice recorders were out and put in place and Kelechi was ushered in bound hands and feet. We all had taken our seats ready for the confession to fall out when we heard a very loud laughter. The laughter sounded very hilarious so we all turned to see who it was. Well it was Kelechi. Following the laughter, he said ”tell the police to release me after my confession or I would not speak!”. The police officers with me rushed at him to beat him up but I pleaded with them to leave him alone. I told him calmly that his request would be granted if he would say the whole truth. Then he began to speak….

”I and Paul have been good friends for about 10 years before his death. He was a very good person. We did business together so I can vouch for his honesty. In short we were brothers. I would never do anything to harm him because he helped me severally and I would never bite the hand that fed me.

I tell you the truth, that I wasn’t responsible for what happened but if I tell you I do not know who is responsible then I am lying to you.

When I left  the hospital to the police station, I got a text telling me to stop and that I was been closely watched. In the text my life was threatened. I was told that I would be killed if I ever went to the police or ever went to my house. I had no where to go and very little cash on me so, I went to a nearby town where I begged for food and shelter from a group of boys I saw hanging around. They persuaded me to join them in their business or else they’d leave me to fend for myself alone. Seeing that I had nothing on me, I  decided to temporarily join them so I could gather some money to start a new life elsewhere. We robbed travelers on the highway occasionally and shared the loots among ourselves. I was told they have been on it for some years and have never been caught but today  I am here with just 2 others who willingly surrendered but, the rest who tried to escape were killed.”

I am sorry about Paul’s death and I am no longer afraid to tell you who it was that killed your fiance ….I saved the number with which the text I received on my way from the hospital to the police station was sent.  Out of curiosity, I decided too find out whom the number belonged to. It was very easy. I added the number on whatsapp and searched for it on facebook to confirm. Well, it may shock you to find out that the number was owned by Sandra your best friend. I was very surprised. I don’t know why she did what she did but that’s all I know”. …He ended.

We released him after his confession and then we headed  to Sandra’s house for questioning. She was very surprised and confused. I guess she wasn’t expecting the police as  a visitor that morning as she felt she had left no trace behind for anyone to find out. At first, she denied it all but later admitted to the crime when she heard our evidence.

She confessed that she spear headed it all and was the one who sent the assassins. Her confession went thus…

”Yes! I did it. I was jealous that you were getting married to Paul. Right from the very first day you introduced me to Paul, I fell in  love with him and wanted him. Several times I was at his place to seduce him and we had sex on every occasion. I started by cooking for him and then finally worked my way into his bed. He promised me that he would break up with you only for me to later hear you two were getting married. I was furious so I went to him. I told him to call it off or else he would regret ever lying to me. He told me that I could do my worst and that he had everything under control from his end. I couldn’t bear the fact that Paul was going to be with you. I was consumed with jealousy so I decided to plot his killing. When we were to leave the hospital, if you could remember, I told you I forgot my phone in the ward that I was going to pick it up and that I’d join you in the car ater…..I actually lied. I went back to the ward to finish it up. When I heard he was at the hospital I felt remorseful and I was glad that the guys I paid to kill him didn’t get him killed but, when I saw that smile he gave you and the way he acted so that you wouldn’t see that he was in pain, I became jealous again that was the reason why I went back and suffocated hm with the spare pillow by his bedside.

I am really sorry. I never expected that you’d find out. Please do not turn me over to the police. I love you so much that was why I killed him instead of you…..”.

Well, undermining that I was glad that I had found the person behind Paul’s death I was really shocked, terrified and devastated that my enemy was actually my own best friend. A lady I loved so much and had sacrificed alot for. Sandra was sentenced to death by hanging after 5 years of hard labor while, I left the country months after to start afresh and to move on with life.  THE END.

If you have enjoyed this story please encourage us by hitting the like button and share. 

Visit on Mondays and Fridays for NEW stories.  Gracias!